With winter storm Jonas causing havoc across the nation and football playoffs on TV. I was wanting something warm and meaty. Often times soup and losing weight means “light” high sodium tasteless broth. I went digging for something more hearty and came across Ree Drummond’s Hamburger soup. After a few changes, this recipe is meaty, manly and only 6 smart points per serving.
- 2-1/2 pounds Ground Sirloin
- 1 whole Large Onion, Diced
- 2 stalks Celery, Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 can (14.5 Ounce) Can Whole Tomatoes
- 3 cups Beef Stock
- 3 Bell Peppers, Seeded And Diced (Pick different colors)
- 4 whole Carrots, Peeled And Sliced On The Diagonal
- 3 whole Red Potatoes, Cut Into Chunks
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Grab the biggest pot you’ve got (this soup serves 12) and place it on the stove.Turn the stove to medium-high heat. That’s medium high not maxed out high. Now throw in the meat with the onion, celery, and garlic. As the meat cooks, drain off as much fat as you can.
- Once the meat is cooked, add everything else. Once everything is added bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat, then cover the pot and simmer the soup for 15-20 more minutes. Do not overcook the potatoes. Tender potatoes are the goal, not mushy potatoes.
- This is a man approved soup, it’s thick!, However, if you'd like it to be more "soupy," and less hearty, add 1 to 2 cups more broth OR hot water and heat through. (Broth is tastier) Your taste buds are different than mine so adjust seasonings accordingly.
The toughest part of Weight Watchers is finding out what combination of food to use. The best thing about the program is you can eat anything you want. However, it takes some planning to make everything fit in. Take today’s snacks for example:
Crackers and Peanut Butter. A glorious combination of sweet and salty. They hit the taste buds but, do they hit keep you full?
On the other side we have, yogurt, an apple & peanuts. Sweet, Salty & Fiber! The points are the same but this side is going to be a lot more filling.
What snacks do you like?